Context Sensitive Help
Context sensitive help is used to describe particular properties and to display the description next to properties. This possibility is used in the editor to provide help for several fields when editing the properties of an object.
Using Context Sensitive Help
In the editor there are two possibilities to display context sensitive help:
- All available descriptions of the current form can be displayed by clicking on the button .
- If the user is only interested in the description of a single property the focus must be set to that property and a pop-up window with the explanation text is displayed when the “F1” key is pressed.
How to Create Explanations
- First the property must be localized for which the explanation text should be written.
Note: Properties are part of object classes, contained in forms. To identify a particular property search for the object class, look for the correct form and get the reference of the property.
- Edit the properties of the property. Select the “Explanation Texts” tab. Create a new line and select “Details” in the Explanation Text Type field and select the Software Component. The explanation text must be of following format and saved in UTF-8:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
- The HTML text after the <xml> tag may be modified. Between the <b> tags a heading can be specified and between the <font> tags the explanation text can be written.
- For the explanation the correct language must be selected, the text file has to be imported and the Extension of File “txt” has to be specified.
Note: Properties may be reused in different object classes. So the explanation text must be as precise as possible but with respect to the different usage situations. The same properties are used for search forms, edit forms and read-only forms. Take this fact into account when writing explanation texts. An iisreset is necessary to display the explanations in the Fabasoft Folio Web Client.
Very important: Do not forget to include the software component the property belongs to as prerequisite and extended component in the help software component. Instead of that it is also possible to use the References of Optionally Extended Components field. Enter the reference of the optionally extended software component as string (e.g. COOWF@1.1) but do not reference the software component in the properties Prerequisite Components or Extended Components. The advantage of optionally extended software components is the fact that the component objects extended with explanation texts do not have to exist in the domain where the software component for online help is installed.