Fabasoft Folio Native WebDAV Support
Fabasoft Folio provides functionality for applications to open the content via WebDAV. This results in no local copy of the document. This functionality works only with applications that support reading or editing documents via the WebDAV protocol. This document describes how to configure Fabasoft Folio to use this functionality.
Configuration of the Server
The native WebDAV support can be activated in the Virtual Application Configuration of the Current domain. Perform the following steps:
- Open the Virtual Application Configuration object of the Current domain in edit mode.
- On the “Settings” tab set the Use Native WebDAV property to “Yes”.
Configuration of the Client
The corresponding registry entry has to be available under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fabasoft\Classes\<progid>\shell\Open\command to use native WebDAV.
To find out which key is the correct one follow these steps:
- Find the file extension in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (e.g. .docx).
The default value of this key will contain the identifier for this document type, the so called progid. The progid for .docx may be "Word.Document.12".
- Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<progid>. Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<progid>\shell\Open\command you will find the command which is used by Microsoft Windows to open a document of this type.
In many cases the shell open command contains a placeholder like "%1" which is substituted at runtime by the name of the file to open. When using the Fabasoft native WebDAV functionality, you may have to adapt this command to pass a URL. This cannot be done with the original registry key, so a copy of this key has to be created in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fabasoft\Classes\<progid>\shell\Open\command for the appropriate file type. Therefore perform the following steps:
- Export the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fabasoft\Classes\<progid>\shell\Open\command key in a registry file and edit the file.
- Change the key to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fabasoft\Classes\<progid>\shell\Open\command
- Instead of the standard placeholder "%1" use the placeholder "<URL>". This placeholder will be substituted at runtime with the WebDAV-URL to the content in Fabasoft Folio, whenever an object will be opened.
Note: No other placeholder beginning with the percent sign is allowed in the command string.
- The new file can be imported into the registry by double-clicking it.
This is a sample registry key and value for Microsoft Word documents:
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Office\\Office12\\WINWORD.EXE\" /n /dde <URL>"
- If you change your server side configuration or install new software for a particular file type, keep in mind to adapt the registry keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fabasoft\Classes on your clients.
- Ensure that the Microsoft Windows Service “WebClient” is up and running.