The third-party integration provides following new features.
Annotating PDF Documents
Annotations that you attach to a PDF document using an external PDF viewer can be separated from the PDF document and saved on a public or personal layer. Thus, the document does not have to be duplicated if you want to share general comments with other team members but personal comments should only be visible to you.
To create public annotations, edit the PDF document as usual (e.g. “Edit” action). In the external PDF viewer, you can attach the corresponding annotations and save the document again.
To create personal annotations, navigate in the PDF document. In the PDF preview, use the “Show comments toolbar” and “Comment” buttons to open the PDF document for editing. The annotations attached in the external PDF viewer are saved as personal annotations.
- If the PDF content itself changes (e.g. by replacing it with another file), the previous documents including annotations are still available. The documents can be selected via a drop-down field in the PDF preview.
- If the PDF document already contains annotations during import, these are saved in a public layer when you enable the comment bar and are therefore visible to all team members.
- When you download a PDF document, the PDF content is annotated with the annotations visible to you.
- You can specify whether annotations can be added to PDF documents of a Teamroom on the “Content Settings” tab in the Allow Comments field. Annotations are always allowed for PDF documents that are not assigned to Teamrooms.
Microsoft Office Integration
The integration in Microsoft Office allows you to perform actions directly from the application.
The domain and account selection can be made directly in the Office product. Thus, for example, you can easily use several installations at the same time.
Microsoft Outlook Integration
The integration in Microsoft Outlook gives you the following options.
- In Microsoft Outlook, on the “Start” tab, in the “Fabasoft Folio” group, you can use the “Upload E-Mail” button to import the selected e-mails in a Teamroom or folder. When choosing the folder using the “Choose Folder” button, you can also create a new Teamroom or folder.
Alternatively, you can also copy e-mails as usual (Ctrl + C) and paste them into Fabasoft Folio (Ctrl + V).
- When composing an e-mail, the “Check Access” button is available in the “Fabasoft Folio” group. This enables you to check whether the recipients have access to the Folio objects linked in the e-mail. You can perform the check manually using the “Check Now” button. Enable the “Always Check on Send” option to perform the check automatically.
- The generation of PDF overviews and the extraction of metadata from e-mails can now take place independently of the client directly in Fabasoft Folio. For example, you can store an email in a Folio network drive and the metadata is still extracted.
- In Fabasoft Folio, the importance of e-mails (high or low) is displayed as status symbol.
Contact Synchronization With Microsoft Outlook
You can synchronize contacts that you manage in Fabasoft Folio with Microsoft Outlook. The “Open Folio Address Book” command is available in the context menu of the Fabasoft Folio notification symbol (if configured in the user environment). Your address book list is added in Microsoft Outlook under “Contacts” and automatically kept synchronized. With the “Synchronize” context menu command of the Fabasoft Folio notification symbol, you can also perform the synchronization manually.
- You can find your address book list under “Account menu (your user name)” > “Advanced Settings” > “Address Book”. Here you can manage your contacts and create additional address books.
- Contacts can be synchronized from Fabasoft Folio to Microsoft Outlook but not vice versa. The contacts are available in Microsoft Outlook as read-only contacts.
Integration in Microsoft Word
The integration in Microsoft Word gives you the following options.
You can perform actions in Fabasoft Folio directly from Microsoft Word. The “Fabasoft Folio” tab In Microsoft Word offers the corresponding actions depending on the context.
You can select the document in Fabasoft Folio and open it in Microsoft Word.
If the current document was not opened via Fabasoft Folio, it can be uploaded to Fabasoft Folio. You can select a location in Fabasoft Folio and continue processing directly without having to close the document.
Note: In Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Excel, the “Open” and “Upload” buttons are available on the Fabasoft Folio tab, too.
Forms and Fields
When you add a user-defined form to a Word document, you can insert your defined properties as updatable and modifiable fields (depending on the property type) in the Word document. In Microsoft Word, on the “Fabasoft Folio” tab, the “Insert Field” button is available for this purpose.
The following property types can be edited in the Word document:
- String (also multi-line)
- Date and time
The other property types are displayed as read-only fields.
- When saving the content, the fields in the PDF view are updated automatically, regardless of whether the PDF view is generated on the server or on the client.
- On the “Content” tab, in the Update PDF Content on Metadata Change field you can define whether the PDF view is newly generated on the server when the metadata of the object gets changed. This way, fields that refer to the metadata of the document are displayed with current values.
- The properties Last Signature, Last Signature by, Last Signature on/at and Remark of Last Signature can be inserted in Word documents as fields.
- When you create a user-defined form and choose “Container With User Data” or “Room With User Data” as base class, you can also specify whether it is a file. The reference to the file is saved for the subordinate objects. This makes it possible, for example, that the properties of the file are also available as fields in Microsoft Word.
You have the option that the PDF view of Microsoft Office documents is generated locally. This has the advantage that the mapping between the document and the PDF document is much better, when only LibreOffice instead of Microsoft Office is available on the conversion server.
Whether you want to generate the PDF view on the workstation or on the conversion server can be defined in the options of the Fabasoft Folio Client. To do so, open the context menu of the Fabasoft Folio Client notification symbol and click “Options”. On the “Content” tab, you can set the following:
- Generate PDF Preview on the Workstation
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Visio